Chimeric Rabbit for Illustration Friday

Chimeric Rabbit
8″ x 7″ Copics, fine liners, white gel pen

Well, it started as a cat stretching for Illustration Friday‘s topic “Stretch”. Then she got a sort of foxy prehensile tale, rabbity ears and some lizard scales. It’s a rather half-hearted stretch (or her eyes would be closed or her neck would be stretched). She doesn’t get much in the way of stiff muscles, being magical and stuff.

I did a bit of messing around with the color sliders, and got this purple and olive version, which I prefer to the original:

Chimeric Rabbit, original Copic illustration with colors changed digitally

Thanks for visiting! Lots of progress pics below.

This entry was posted in Copic Markers, Illustration Friday, Progression Photos, sketches, Unusual Animals. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Chimeric Rabbit for Illustration Friday

1. jose says:

Amaaaaaaaaaaazing¬°¬°¬°¬°

2. Linda Cash says:

Love the morphing from cat to Chimeric Rabbit. Although I love the digital colours (my fav!) I think I prefer the original as she seems to have a more vulnerable look. You have caught something special with the eye though.

3. MK Colling says:

She’s a pretty beast! I like the patterns and her sweet face.

4. LOVE this combo rabbit! Lot of personality-great color and pattern, terrific composition!

5. What a fun & magical creature! Love both color studies, but I’m thinking she looks more mystical in lavender.

She is wonderful, Cindy! I love the texture on her back and paws! :)

7. Whats that cat been up to???…Playing piggy back with the lizard again!!

8. I love your beasties, so cute and colourful :)

9. Angie says:

great textures and imagination! Must come back and explore your blog when I have more time. Thanks for commenting on mine!

10. I can see you’ve been busy……this one is now my new favorite…..what a fascinating creature!

LOVE her long eyelashes…..part llamas, part dragon, and her tail actually reminds me of a lemur too. TERRIFIC Cindy!

11. ruth says:

I love the swirls around her eye. She looks very well put together, holding onto her essential catness with the big ears and tail.

12. Mom says:

Love both & where the Adjective Chimeric came from-I don’t know but it does seem to suit the “Bunnies”!! Love, Mom

13. jack foster says:

Great blog Cindy! Love your style!

14. chelle hanna says:

your colors are beautiful and creatures so majestic!

15. tanya says:

Think this is great. love the detail, and just LOVE the progression pics, Its great to see how other people work! What materials are you using here?

Hi and thanks! For a little over a year I’ve been using Copic markers, usually on Bristol board. I use Copic and Micron fine line pens, and recently started using a white gel pen (an imperfect tool!). I got a small bottle of “Pro White” someone recommended (for use with a little brush), but I haven’t tried it yet.

16. Very cute chimeric rabbit. Great idea.
    Why does it look so sad?
    Thanks for all your lovely comments;)

17. Gay McKinnon says:

WOW! Cindy, this one is really gorgeous. I loved the original colours, but the purple and green is cool too. Isn’t digital a wonderful thing? I love your latest banner. The little flying machine with zeppelin is fab.
    I have the same problem trying to follow your blog – can’t get it on my Blogger Dashboard – I guess our platforms aren’t very compatible.

Bummer, Gay! Did you put in your name and email address in my “Subscribe to the Herd” in the column on the right? I know some folks have had trouble signing up. I keep thinking I will change the widget that does it, but I’m afraid of losing current subscribers. (Perhaps I shall look into it!)

18. Lovely! Her patterning’s beautiful – particularly along her stretching back – and such sweet, doe-eye(s – I assume it’s a similar story on the other side, if only we could see!). And what an incredible difference between the original and digital colour renderings! I have great admiration for your digital skills, and (if forced to choose) think that version’s my favourite – somehow more joyful, luxuriating in her stretch ;-)

I have to laugh because “digital skills”? Oh no, I do not have those. I am certainly competent at moving sliders labeled “brightness/contrast” and “hue/saturation”, and even adding simple effects like clouds. But I would not call it skills! Very simple things these are (which is why it often feels like cheating)! :)

19. Efi Maryeli says:

Amazingly beautiful!!! A great idea!!!

20. The Beast Tender says:

Thank you Efi and everyone for the wonderful comments!

21. koosje says:

She’s darn cute. And I actually like the bright colours of the original best.

22. Sandra Jessop says:

I love the color and design of your work. Fun! Makes me want to try out some Copic markers.

23. Amy Newhouse says:

I have to say I’m drawn to the colors in the original. But cheers for the ease of playing with colors digitally. I’ve been clicking through the rest of your posts, and you’ve got a great eye for color combinations.

24. Mary Walker says:

Second blog this morning with a pink/orange and a purple/green I’m in favor of the first one myself but maybe I need the warm colors since it’s so cold here today.

25. I like both color variations. I wish I was magical too so I didn’t get sore muscles :)

26. Bella Sinclair says:

All of a sudden, I feel like my back needs a good crackin’! Hehehe, my doggie does this all the time when he wants food. Your little guy is fantastic! Love all the different patterning and colors!

27. Great work Cindy, i like the tender details but would prefer the first one.

28. NatashaMay says:

I love all your drawn creatures. Love both versions but I guess I’m more of a warm colors person as the original is my favorite. :)

29. Creative and imaginative and as colourful as always!!!

30. Glen Isip says:

I like the perspective you used on this one. It seems a little “flat” but I mean that in a positive way. It works with the colors and the outlines and the geometric shapes.

31. Jenny Frith says:

I just love your whimsical figures and cheerful colors!

32. nicky linzey says:

You’re working too fast for me to keep up with you Cindy! Really like the pose in this one and the colours and patterns.

33. BunnyKissd says:

Oooohhh! I like this one! Especially the color-altered one… very nice! All of your art is so colorful!