Explore the Widsy Waddle! For Illustration Friday

Explore the Widsy Waddle! Steed Rental
9″ x 6″ Copic Markers, fine liners, white gel pen, digital text

For the topic “Explore” at Illustration Friday.

I started off with a giant bird but got frustrated with the wings and went back to my old standby, the horse beast! I was going to put a fairy or some other humanoid on his back but then I thought about my imaginary advertisements like Llama Genie Airships and the Elephant Shrew Urn.

Now that I’ve got a handful of these I should do a series. And then a book! Alternatively, I could build on all my creatures who live in the Wonder Woods, merge the advertisements into the same world, and write a historical document and/or  book!

It’s fun coming up with potentially original, commercial ideas! Doing them, on the other hand – much more tricky!

Progress pics below.  (Hmm, I should add a shadow at his feet.)  Please feel free to leave a note, and thanks for dropping in!

This entry was posted in Copic Markers, Illustration Friday, Progression Photos, sketches, The Wonder Woods and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Explore the Widsy Waddle! For Illustration Friday

1. I’d pay to have a ride! He looks like he might amble along amiably. Love your caption and of course another great piece of work.

I think you should definiately do a series and get them published.

2. Myyna says:

You have incredible fantasy! It’s amazing. Love it!

3. Yes, I like the idea of a foot shadow. I really adore the shapes of his snout and tail. How I’d love to explore such a preserve!

4. khwhitaker says:

Now that is one cool ride ;) I’d love to rent him but he’s a little out of my price range :D

5. pflaumart says:

Very cool! Would make great coloring pages for my students!

Wonderful and Wacky Waddles…..gotta Wuv them!
    Great idea on the series of advertisements. There’s a sorta vintage feel to this one….more of them would be awesome. Maybe a series of Waddle carousel creatures??

7. Sue Jorgensen says:

I LOve this :) Obviously of fine pedigree!

Cool Steed! I’ll just have to look on, though. Can’t afford a ride. Smile.

9. Mom says:

I’m ready to take a ride!!! Love the book idea!! Love, Mom

10. Elika says:

Awwwwwwww! this is so adorable haha
    I love the blue color <3

11. nicky linzey says:

I love his tail. He looks very comfortable as though you wouldn’t fall off easily!

12. You create the most vivid and remarkable beasts!

13. carolmarden says:

This is wonderful! Great colors and layout, and the overall design works really well.

14. Woah! That’s quite a beast! Although I am totally unfamiliar with such creatures, I wouldn’t hestitate to climb in that saddle with such a docile expression on his face! Hopefully that’s not just an act on his part…

HA! This is amazing, Cindy! You have the most vivid imagination and you draw details so beautifully! LOVE this one very much!!!!!

16. Rita says:

Kind of steep, but I bet it would be worth every penny…sign me up!

17. Yara says:

It’s a wonderful illustration! Really an adorable horse beast. Love all the details and the expression of his eye. So original, but this one makes me think of animals in Star Wars. I would ride that horse :)

18. Ana M.F. says:

Beautiful creature! I love the light blue and pink you use and the eye makes it look very approachable :)
    The ride is kind of expensive for me, need to start saving some money!!

19. Oh please please please can I have a ride on The Widsy Waddle!! And I think my little boys would go one too!! What fun! Especially love his saddle and anklets!!

20. What a wonderful creature! I love his feathered hooves :) And yes! The book sounds like a great (if not absolutely compulsory) idea! Sign me up for a copy :) xx

21. Kate says:

I LOVE this image! I have followed your blog for a long time, and you are so wonderfully creative! How do you remember to take so many progress shots? I just get so into it that I rarely manage this.

Hello! It definitely took a while to get into the habit, but it’s all part of the process now because it helps me look at the image in a different perspective (on the computer), particularly toward the end. As you’ll see in the next post, I don’t always do it! Thanks so much for your comment!

22. That’s gorgeous!!

23. You and your work are so inspired :))) i am totally charmed by this animal! i want one of my very own :D
    great work, all of it and lovely blog too!