The Harvest Oracle, Acrylics

Face 25 of 29 Faces! Hooray, back to painting after a week or so of ink and markers.

The Harvest Oracle
8″ x 6″ Acrylics on Canvas Board

You’ll see in the progress pics below that I whited out the eyes at one point. I thought maybe instead of standard eyes I’d try some more spooky ones.┬áThe other thing I thought about doing was a ghostly figure behind her. Or some other kind of floating spirit. I ended up with a greenish sun in an alien sky. Which happily works for the topic “Space” at Illustration Friday.

Thanks for dropping in!

This entry was posted in 100 Maidens, 29 Faces Challenge, Acrylics, Illustration Friday, Progression Photos and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Harvest Oracle, Acrylics

1. Even though I like your original eyes, I think that the spooky ones work even better. Love all that pattern on her hat. You have transitioned well from markers to acrylic without losing the Cindy style, do you have a preference?

Interesting question, maybe too hard to answer! With acrylics I’ll be able to do really large works, which is a goal of mine. Plus you can just paint over eyes (or whatever) and re-do them, which is pretty nice! But the tiny details for tiny works I think will always be best in ink.

2. Efi Maryeli says:

Those eyes are hunting!!!! Great work!!!!

3. minnemie says:

Aahhh, beautiful! She looks like she glows. Your value changes are excellent.

4. I like the spooky eyes and the back light!

5. Fran says:

I am astounded at your never ending imagination with each of your posts. How do you think up all your many characters that you paint?

Thank you! Usually I start with a face shape. And I try to vary the eye placement, the size of the mouth and the skin color. So while sketching in some of that sometimes I imagine a silly hat or hairstyle. (Also, I have a lot of half-finished faces on paper and canvas all over!)

6. Carol King says:

You always have the most creative faces. I like the big spooky eyes, though if I saw someone in real life with eyes like that I would run in the other direction!

7. Sarah says:

I LOVE her. I think my favorite so far!!! Love those spooky eyes. I also love that you do the progress slide show. So cool to see the steps

8. hedwig says:

Beautiful mysterious princess! From the planes of Kazachstan or somewhere far east and cold.

9. denthe says:

Wow, love how you did the eyes! She looks like she truly has some magical powers …

Oh wow! Look at what you’ve been doing since I was here last. You are great at acrylics! It must feel weird to work so “large” compared to your little minis. I am loving this type of painting from you!!

11. nini says:

I love how the eyes progressed to their final stage. She does look best with these and even if they are spooky, I still love them.

12. bella sinclair says:

I got swallowed up by those eyes! Spooky, but in the best way. Great colors in this one!

13. ruthsartwork says:

She looks very serious in her alien world.

14. Mom says:

This lady is the prettiest so far & there have been many lovely ones! By the way “Thanks for listening!” The computer is running much better! Mom

15. Definitely creepy & haunting with those eyes! Very interesting on the warm backdrop!

16. Gay McKinnon says:

I haven’t seen your acrylic paintings before (you might have posted some … I’ve been off the PC for a while… will go back and check!) I really like the look of this one – soft and rich with jewel-like colours.